A manor house was built by the Thorpe family in what is now known as Longthorpe in about 1250-1270, probably by the second William of Thorpe. The tower was a later addition built about 1290-1300 by Robert Thorpe, a lawyer. At the time it was a great status symbol. It is now most noted for its 14th century wall paintings, the best preserved medieval wall paintings in a domestic setting in Europe. These paintings show heraldic images, pictures of the birds and animals and images of people doing everyday tasks as well as religious and mystical subjects. These include the 'Seven Ages of Man', the 'Three Dead Kings and Three Living Kings', the 'Wheel of the Senses' and the 'Bonnacon' a mystical best who shoots flaming excrement.