The painting of Peterborough Cathedral from the North by the artist Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851) was first exhibited in 1795.
Turner made sketches for this and other works showing the cathedral, during his 1794 Midlands tour. This small watercolour is typical of the popular topographical imagery that was engraved for magazines during the period.
Whilst the cathedral is the dominant feature of Peterborough Cathedral from the North, the foreground figures of local women going about their daily lives add a sense of scale and harmonious order to the scene. Turner’s viewpoint also suggests the compactness of the city and its closeness to its surrounding countryside during the 1790s.