Upon The Infirmary's move to the newly completed Memorial Hospital in 1928 the Infirmary building was acquired by Percy Malcolm Stewart, Chair of the London Brick Company, who donated it to the Museum Society (at that time the Natural History, Scientific and Archaeological Society) to house their collection.
It was opened as a museum in 1931, with the art gallery added in 1939.
The Museum and its collections have been owned by the Council since 1968, when the Museum Society gave them to the city.
In May 2010, management of the building and its collections was taken over by Vivacity.
Upon The Infirmary's move to the newly completed Memorial Hospital in 1928…