Upon The Infirmary's move to the newly completed Memorial Hospital in 1928 the Infirmary building was acquired by Percy Malcolm Stewart, Chair of the London Brick Company, who donated it to the Museum Society (at that time the Natural History, Scientific and Archaeological Society) to house their collection.
It was opened as a museum in 1931, with the art gallery added in 1939.
The Museum and its collections have been owned by the Council since 1968, when the Museum Society gave them to the city.
In May 2010, management of the building and its collections was taken over by Vivacity.
Dr Thomas James Walker was a second generation doctor. He had a thriving practice in Westgate, and in 1862 he was appointed to the post of surgeon at the infirmary, a post he held until 1906.
He had other interests, notably local history and his archaeological finds and acquisitions formed a base for the Peterborough Museum Society collection, and he became the society's president in 1892. He was also interested in the Napoleonic prisoner of war camp at Norman Cross and wrote a book on its history, published in 1913.
In recognition of all his contributions to Peterborough and its inhabitants, on his 80th birthday in 1915, he was granted the Freedom of the city, the first native born Peterborian to be so honoured.
Upon The Infirmary's move to the newly completed Memorial Hospital in 1928…
Dr Thomas James Walker was a second generation doctor. He had a thriving pr…