Opening on the 2nd of June 1845, Peterborough East was the first railway station in Peterborough, built by the Eastern Counties Railway (ECR). It linked Peterborough with the London and Birmingham Railway. It was located on Station Road just off the Town Bridge south of the River Nene. A section of the now defunct railway line to Northampton still survives as the Nene Valley Railway.
It was closed to passenger traffic in June 1966.
With the arrival of the railway a new age began for Peterborough, it was the catalyst for turning a small market town into the city we know today.
Opening on the 2nd of June 1845, Peterborough East was the first railway st…