St Peter’s Lodge Freemasons group was first recorded in 1802. Members met in a variety of locations in the city, as was common with groups at that time; their first meeting place was the Angel Inn on Bridge Street. In 1820 a change of venue was recorded, and St Peter’s Lodge began meeting in a ‘Private Room over the Minster Gateway’. The room was used as a chapel and school amongst other uses over the years. By 1822 the lodge was meeting at the Windmill Inn a short distance away on the Market Place, now Cathedral Square. No doubt the ability to acquire a short draught of ale was an attractive addition to their new meeting place. The lodge is believed to have continued until 1834, and a new lodge of the same name was founded in 1836 in the same location. The new St Peter’s Lodge was in existence until 1863.
Lane's Masonic Records, version 1.0 (<http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/lane>, October 2011).
Published by HRI Online Publications, ISBN 978-0-955-7876-8-3
St Peter’s Lodge Freemasons group was first recorded in 1802. Members met…