St Peter's Freemason's Lodge was founded in 1802. and over the next twenty years, they moved premises a number of times. In 1822 the lodge was located at the windmill Inn (where Barclays' city centre branch is now) when, through lack of activity, the Grand Lodge erased it from membership. However some of the members continued to meet as friends at the Windmill. Then, one evening in 1836, Thomas Ewart, a grocer new to Peterborough, joined them for a drink. Talk turned to Freemasonry and Thomas persuaded the group to re-form their lodge. Having been persuaded, they applied for a new warrant, were accepted and St Peter's Lodge was finally reconsecrated on this Saturday, with Thomas Ewart as their first master. All that was needed now was the formal evening meal - known as a Festive Board. Unfortunately, there was no food available at the Windmill, as the landlady had passed away just before the consecration ceremony took place. Undeterred, the group crossed the Market Place to the Talbot and dined well. They didn't desert the Windmill though - they just seem to have added to their rules that there was to be no eating or drinking at the Lodge meetings. (Peterborough Local History Society Magazine)
Taken from The Peterborough Book of Days by Brian Jones, The History Press, 2014.